Hello and welcome......... we are currently merging with WWW.IRONLIFE.COM please visit and register there
Hello and welcome......... we are currently merging with WWW.IRONLIFE.COM please visit and register there
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Strikeforce Interview w/ Dennis Hallman

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Resin
THE HIGHER POWER
THE HIGHER POWER
Resin

Number of posts : 1322

Strikeforce Interview w/ Dennis Hallman Vide
PostSubject: Strikeforce Interview w/ Dennis Hallman   Strikeforce Interview w/ Dennis Hallman Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 8:20 pm

Quote :
Dennis Hallman has been fighting as a mixed martial artist for over a decade. There isn't much Dennis 33, hasn't seen during his storied career as a professional, the sport has been constantly evolving and growing, since he first began fighting. However one thing has not changed – his desire to be a champion and to be the best fighter in the world. Over the course of his career Hallman has stood toe to toe with some of the finest fighters of our generation including; Frank Trigg, Caol Uno, Jens Pulver, Jorge Rivera, and Matt Hughes.

Hallman is notorious for being the guy who has Matt Hughes' number. Dennis Hallman has twice defeated the UFC star most notably by spoiling Hughes' UFC debut back in 2000, at UFC 29. Now Hallman enters into a new chapter in his celebrated career, by fighting Justin Davis this Friday at Strikeforce Challengers II. The fight will be taking place at the ShoWare Center in Kent, Washington, right in Hallman's back yard.

We had a chance to catch up with Dennis on Thursday June 18th, and talk about his MMA career, life as a dad, advice he has for aspiring fighters and his thoughts going into tomorrow's fight with Justin Davis at Strikeforce Challengers.

You have been involved in MMA since the mid 1990's, how have you seen the game change over time?

The game has changed in a lot of different ways, since I began. One big change has been for the fighters, since the sport has been growing the paychecks have grown, which is a big motivator for us. Back in the day – only the elite, the best of the best, would be able to fight in the UFC. Times have changed and now if you have the right personality, win a TV show, or if they think you can sell tickets – you will get a shot. But without this, the sport wouldn't be growing as fast as it is, and fighters wouldn't be making as much – so I'm not complaining.

What do you think about Brock Lesnar and some of the other transitional athletes do for MMA as a sport?

You I don't think it is a bad thing, as long as they can show up and fight – Lesnar came into his title shot against Couture 2-1, and left with the belt over his shoulder. If he would have lost it could be a different story. Apparently the promoters knew what they were doing and believed Lesnar was up for the challenge. It panned out because now they have a legitimate belt holder who can fill some serious seats.

Now I know you recently brought a daughter into the world this past December. Is it difficult for your family to see you fight?

Yes, I have a 6 month daughter named Kylar and she is pretty as hell. I also have 3 boys, and now with the addition of a daughter it is a whole new ball game! But, I look at fighting as a sport, it is my job. How many other parents, can say that one day their kids can look back and see their Dad doing what he does best? I wouldn't want to have it any other way.

You have fought some of the best fighters in the world including; Frank Trigg, Caol Uno, Jens Pulver and probably most notably by defeating Matt Hughes on two separate occasions. Now you are coming off of a big March victory over Danny Ruiz, After all these years what keeps you going?

I am a fighter. I love the battle, I love to fight and it is what I do best. If I were a tennis player then I would probably play tennis for the rest of my life, but I am a fighter – so I am planning on fighting until I can no longer compete at the highest level. The ultimate goal is always to be the champion and to be the best. I am always pursuing perfection, and challenging myself to be a better fighter – so that is what I am doing.

Strikeforce has made a last minute change in your opponent from Cedric Marks to Justin Davis – Going into the fight does this affect your strategy? And what do you know about Davis?

I will tell you what happened. Cedric had a fight last week down in Texas, and while he was there he got himself suspended. Justin is a 205 pound local guy, so I'm going to fight up in weight for this one. I know he has had around 20 fights, and that he is a powerful striker with some wrestling skills. The state of Washington is much stricter about putting together a card than Nevada. Washington tries to be fairer with their bouts, the fact that I have had 50+ plus, meant they couldn't just find anybody.

But has my game plan changed – No – I'm not really worried about what the other guy is going to do. I just do what I want to do in the fight and take control early on. It has worked for me, my whole career.

You are known for your excellent ground work, which is apparent in that 78% of your victories have come via submission, Do you look to continue this trend and keep Davis on the mat tomorrow night?

80%? I thought it was more like 90%! But yeah, I am going to win by submission tomorrow, no thought about it. I am looking to finish him off in round one, make it an early night.

I'm sure it will be nice fighting in your home state; do you have any pre-fight rituals you go through?

It's great to be fighting in my backyard. I'm from Yelm, which is only about an hour away to ShoWare Center in Kent, Washington. I don't really have any pre-fight rituals, I just do my thing by trying to relax before a fight and go out there to perform, and win the fight.

Any particular advice would you give to an up and coming fighter who is looking to transition from an amateur to a professional?

Make sure you get as many amateur fights as you can. Do this until you are beating up everybody or you have fought everyone in your region that you can. When there is no one else, then turn pro. But my advice is to stay an amateur and make the mistakes you are going to make as an amateur, before you go pro. Once you go pro your record counts.

How would you advise an amateur fighter find and pick the right manager or promoter?

They could go to MMAAgents.com to talk with one of those guys there. Realistically there are tons of managers. You just got to find one that meshes with you. Most managers out there are good; it just comes down to which manager your personality meshes with me the best.

______________________________________________________________________________________

You can catch Dennis in action tonight at Strikeforce Challengers: Santos vs. Villasenosor on Showtime 11PM ET/8PM PT.

Check out Dennis Hallman on FightLaunch.com

FightLaunch.com ©️2
Back to top Go down
http://www.hardcoremma.com

Strikeforce Interview w/ Dennis Hallman

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: MMA :: Mixed Martial Arts -